Who was it that said there’s nothing like the feeling of a brand new home?
Sure, almost certainly something will go wrong, hopefully it wont be major.
Sure it’s more involved but don’t you just love selecting your favourite tiles and your perfect bench-top? Personally I think the results are well worth it, and here’s some tips to help make the process as painless as possible.
5 Easy tips to building a new home
1 Go into it with open eyes.
2 Get your loan approved with a construction expert.
3 Build in room for variations (in your loan and in your expectations!)
4 Check the progress payment schedule.
- SLAB STAGE 20%, literally when the slab is down
- FRAME STAGE 20% As it sounds, the frame is up
- ENCLOSED STAGE 15% Brickwork or external cladding is on, windows and doors are on and we are locked up
- FITOUT STAGE 25% The inside work is underway, our internal linings are up
- PRACTICAL COMPLETION 15% everything is finished except the appliances
If the schedule is very strange and your deposit is smaller, it might be best to choose another builder, lenders are cracking down on builders who want too much money in the initial stages and they may decline your loan or certainly cause you some stress, ask me about this and we’ll see what we can work out.